150 bhp, 279.9 cu. in. eight-cylinder inline side-valve engine, three-speed manual gearbox, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, two-speed live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 127"
The 1935 Auburn styling was the work of Gordon Buehrig, who had designed the immortal Model J Duesenberg. Making the 1934 theme more upright yet more graceful, Buehrig also lowered the speedster’s tail, making it smoother and more aerodynamic. With the V-12 gone, a more powerful eight was called for, so Auburn turned to August Duesenberg to adapt the Model J’s centrifugal concept to the side-valve engine. With 6.5 to 1 compression, the supercharged Model 851 developed 150 bhp at 4,000 rpm. On the Bonneville salt flats, company driver Abner “Ab” Jenkins, a former Indy 500 driver of note, set 70 new unlimited and American speed records for stock cars. Each new speedster was delivered with a dashboard plaque certifying that the car had been driven by Jenkins to more than 100 mph.
A rare, wonderfully equipped and well sorted, 1959 MGA Coupe. The stylish lines echo the XK120 Coupe. We have serviced and improved this car for the last three owners, with combined ownership covering over 35 years. This car now has very unique looks and specifications. The current owner made many upgrades in our shop so he could use the car on vintage rallies. He wanted this car to be exceptionally appointed inside and equipped to perform effortlessly over long distances. The car is now fitted with a 1840cc MGB five main engine, backed by a Moss 5 speed transmission. To insure the car would handle and stop, the front suspension was upgraded to MGB complete with disc brakes. The final differential ratio was changed to 3.90 from 4.22 to take full advantage of the overdrive gear. To ensure smooth, shimmy-free, high speed driving, 15X6 8 spoke Superlite alloy wheels were fitted. The end result is a reliable well balanced coupe that can keep up with modern traffic. All mechanical work has a mere 2500 miles since completion. This car is well sorted and ready to drive.
This MGA is fitted with a stunning interior. The leather seats are comfortable and have a proper patina free of flaws. The carpets are new, wool type, well-padded and nicely installed. The under carpet at the transmission has been padded with a thermal heat barrier. The headliner is new and the white color makes the interior feel more spacious. The original dash was sent to Madera Concepts to have a stunning book matched walnut veneer installed and then finished like fine furniture. The real wood steering wheel complements the dash and is a pleasure to hold. The interior looks even better in person.
All mechanical work was done with no expense spared. Approximately $20,000 was spent to make this the best equipped MGA coupe. MGB five main engine bored +40 balanced, fitted with large intake valves and a mild camshaft that has been degreed for best performance. The transmission is a 5-speed full syncro overdrive on top gear. Front suspension is all new including shocks and disc brakes. The diff is a rebuilt 3:90 unit. All brake and clutch hydraulics were replaced with new cylinders and hoses. Radiator has been upgraded and car runs cool even on hot days. Starts, runs and drives very smoothly and as a bonus it is very quiet at cruising speeds. All dash controls and gauges work.
Body is very solid and has no signs of serious accident damage or rust. The chrome is good to excellent, with only a minor dent on the l/h front bumper. Paint work is a nice warm shade of white and is smooth and glossy. The chassis is very straight and solid. Glass is all good. The doors close well and panel gaps are all good.
New 15X6 Superlite alloy wheels with 195/60 tires. Approximately 3,000 miles on set. The true and well balanced wheels make for some smooth driving and excellent cornering.
This car is a pleasure to drive. It starts easily, has excellent power, and retains a nice steady idle. The five speed transmission is effortless to shift, makes the car quiet, and really performs well. The interior view from the driver’s seat is great and the dash gives a sense of richness that nothing short of a Jaguar can match. This car is comfortable to drive and performs way above a regular MGA. A car good for years of reliable touring, and is a great alternative to a Porsche 356 coupe. This is a wonderful car to tour or rally.
1972 DE TOMASO PANTERA, 1972 DETOMASO PANTERA BLK/BLK WITH 35,900 ORIGINAL MILES. NEW PAINT ON BARE METAL RESTORATION. RUST- FREE BODY NON MODIFIED BODY, ALL STAINLESS TRIM AND BUMPERS ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION INTERIOR IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION WITH NEW CARPETS AND ORIGINAL SEATS THAT HAVE BEEN RECOVERED IN BLACK CLOTH. THE DASH, CONSOLES, AND HEADLINERS ARE IN PRISTINE SHAPE. 17 INCH PI MOTORSPORTS ' BOYD CODDINGTON WHEELS ARE NEW AS IS THE 315/35/17 AND 225/45/17 Z-RATED TIRES. THE CAR IS LOWERED TO EUROPEAN RIDE HEIGHT FOR A MORE MENACING STANCE. REAR UPRIGHTS AND UNDER RADIATOR IS VERY SOUND CONDITION. VERY STRONG ORIGINAL 351 CLEVLAND MOTOR WITH POLISHED DETOMASO VALVE COVERS. AC BLOWS COLD, ENGINE AND ENGINE BAY KEPT IN STOCK LOOKING CONDITION. PI MOTOR SPORTS MUFFLERS WITH EARLY FACTORY HEADERS. COOLANT SYSTEM IS IN EXCELLENT ORGINAL CONDITION AND RUNS COOL. LUGGAGE TUB HAS BEEN RECOVERED. THIS CAR IS AN EARLY 72 WITH A FLAT REAR DECK. IT IS SET UP AS A VERY STRONG STREET DRIVEN CAR. IT IS GETTING HARDER TO FIND CARS THAT ARENT OVERELY MODIFIED. THIS CAR IS VERY RELIABLE AND A GREAT STREET PANTERA.
Engine number: 29K-U-H/16358
Body number: 86626
Gearbox number: 429
Rear Axle: 15094
Built May 25- June 2, 1967
This beautiful North American Export Austin-Healey BJ8 has lead a charmed life. The 1967 models are considered by many as the pinnacle of the big Healeys, with roll up windows, a more luxurious cockpit, and all of the mechanical refinements over the years. #41750 was purchased by the current owner in 1983 with just 36,300 miles, and in 1999, was treated to a full restoration by noted marque authorities Fourintune Garage. Tom Kovacs reports that there were no floor pan or door jamb repairs required, but a complete mechanical freshening was in order. It is a complete numbers matching car with all original panels, and is restored accurately in British Racing Green with black interior.
Today, the car has 46,340 miles, and has travelled just 3,000 miles in the ten years since restoration. The 3 items changed by the owner can all easily be brought back to stock – a “Texas Cooler”shrouded fan, a stainless exhaust system, and chromed 72 spoke wire wheels – all for drivability. It’s lived in a heated garage, is immaculately clean throughout, and offers a known history, with complete Heritage Trust documentation and extensive restoration documents. All tools, accessories, and literature is included with no surprises.
The Lotus 15 marked the end of the era of large cubic capacity cars in the Manufacturers World Championship. In 1958, the DBR-2 Aston Martin with its 3.9 litre engine dominated its rivals thanks to its lightness and its remarkable road-holding. In the British Empire Trophy Graham Hill, at the wheel of a 1.5 litre Climax engined Lotus, managed to maintain a steady gap between himself and Stirling Moss. Cliff Allison also experimented with a 2 litre engine and a five speed transaxle gearbox on a Formula 2 Lotus. In 1959, the works driver, Graham Hill, was still able to find enough speed to keep a whole pack of opponents at bay among which were 150 and 200 S Maseratis, RSK Porsches, TN-Oscas and above all the 2.5 Litre rear-engined Cooper. However, the days of the front-engined racing car were numbered and in the 1959/60 season both the Lotus 19 and 23 had their engines mounted behind the driver.
The Lotus 15 offered here was supplied new directly to the USA for SCCA events, the first owner being Mr.Chamberlain, who used the car with Pat Pigott in 1959/60. In 1961 the car was sold to a John Willock, who continued to race the car in America, sharing drives with William Wonder. In 1970, the car was sold to Murray Smith, an English gentleman that has always lived in America and is very well known in the historic racing scene. In 1975, Steve Grizwald purchased the car, which was sold again in 1981 to Peter Kaus, at the Rosso-Bianco Museum in Germany.
The car was displayed in the museum, and features in the famous Rosso-Bianco book, as a full page (Page 123). In 1997, the car was purchased by Coys on behalf of a very highly regarded UK collector, and has been in his ownership until now. During this period, the car has been maintained by Martin Greaves at Classic Performance Engineering.
The 1937 Ford Deluxe Station Wagon is a great example of workmanship. Finished in jade green with chocolate brown interior and a black leatherette roof. It’s restoration was just finished so the car is fresh and ready to go. Modestly equipped with a radio, blue dot taillight, locking hood latch, hubcaps, trim rings and whitewall tires, the bodywork, paint, interior and woodwork are all done to uniformly high standards. This outstanding Ford, which has never been shown, is ready to go straight to the most demanding shows and concourse.
This woody is also ready for touring or a Sunday afternoon drive. It keeps up with modern day traffic along with excellent braking capabilities. Odds are you won’t see another on the road or at a car show. This woody is as beautiful as it is unique!
This is a once every decade opportunity to purchase one of 26 RHD cars in a fully restored condition. In October 2011 a LHD unrestored, average car sold at Artcurial Auctions in Paris for £175,000.
355 bhp, 383 cu. in. Chrysler V-8 engine, Chrysler three-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission, independent front suspension and solid axle with leaf springs in the rear, four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,660 mm
Some of the most exciting and flamboyant sports cars in history were produced in Paris and its surrounding areas through the first half of the 20th century: Delahaye, Delage, Talbot Lago and Panhard to name a few luminaries. Unfortunately, performance and the French government’s extreme post-war taxation of higher horsepower vehicles did not mix. As a result, French performance automobiles were literally killed off by the mid-1950s, something Jean Daninos intended to change.
Daninos was an industrialist who employed 2,000 workers in his four FACEL factories and manufactured everything from kitchen sinks and office furniture to scooters and combustion chambers for deHavilland and Rolls-Royce jet engines. When Panhard cancelled manufacturing plans of their new model at Daninos’ Colombes plant, Jean saw his opportunity to build a great luxury performance vehicle that would once again bring worldwide prominence to a Paris-built car. Of course, due to French taxation he would have to manufacture his Facel cars mostly for export.
As a replacement for the stylish HK500, the Facel II was introduced at the Paris Salon of October 1961 and was the flagship model of the Facel Vega range. A foreign powerplant would best ensure the success of such an export venture, which led to Daninos selecting the technically superior Chrysler V-8 engine. The Facel II had excellent performance and was a capable high-speed tourer; the engine was rated by the factory at 355 horsepower and could sprint from 0-60 mph in 7.8 seconds with a top speed of 134 mph. The intoxicating blend of exquisite French styling and American power made the Facel II a desirable car that has always been appreciated by car collectors with a keen eye for unusual design. All told, only about 26 right-hand drive cars were sold, presumably due to the high purchase price of £5,570 in 1962, when a new Aston Martin DB4 was £3,967!
Intercontinental Cars, a subsidiary of HWM, imported this particular Facel II into the UK. The car was specified with an automatic gearbox and power steering and was originally finished in grey coachwork with red leather hide. It was first registered 20 March, 1964 and supplied through Lazenby Garages of Rothley in Leicestershire to Gee Advertising Ltd. with its original registration GEE 999.
In April 1965 the car was sold to Birds Swansea Ltd. on the registration number BB45 after having covered 20,000 miles. Well-known car collector George Milligan acquired it in August 1968 following a “wanted” advertisement he had placed in a motoring magazine. The car joined another Facel II in his stable and remained with him until 1981, whereupon it was sold to Hamish McAlpine who kept the car until the 1990s. Mr. McAlpine sold the car to French film producer Daniel Carrillo, a noted French car collector who kept it for over 10 years. I purchased the car in 2008 and entrusted it to UK restorer Alan Carrington, who embarked upon a full restoration with parts supplied by Hans Ruhe, a Facel Vega specialist in Holland.
The body was stripped to bare metal and restored with new metal where necessary. The car was painted in Gunmetal Grey metallic, and the chassis was detailed at the same time. The suspension was dismantled and restored with new shock absorbers all around and new Coopercraft brakes. A full re-trim of the interior was carried out, the seats were re-trimmed in red leather, a red cloth headlining was fabricated, and every rubber seal was replaced with a new item. The dashboard, painted metal, was restored correctly, as was the wooden rim steering wheel. The power steering system was rebuilt, and five new stainless steel wire wheels and correct Dunlop tyres were also fitted.
A right-hand drive Facel II is rarely offered on the market. With only 23 examples known to exist, from the original 26 made, this may very well be the only opportunity for many years to come.
The Lagonda M45 remains the stuff of legends, winning Le Mans outright in 1935. The genius was using the twin spark 4.5 litre Meadows engine, mated to Lagonda's own chassis.
This unique 1934 Coupe created by Brainsby-Woollard and built by John Charles of Brentford is a sheer delight. This Historic and well documented M45 presents an opportunity to acquire a piece of history.
Rare 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 Soft Top Troop Carrier. This truck is Left Hand Drive and has a 2F engine with 4 speed transmission. It has app. 72,000 kilometers or 44K miles on the odometer. The black soft top is new as well as the rear mat. The seats have also been recovered recently. There are only a few of these trucks in the US.
Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. Silver/Blue cloth and leather interior. One of the earliest surviving and most significant 300SL Gullwings in the World. 1954 Paris Motorshow car, 1955 Olympia Motorshow car, 1955 Autocar test car, 1955 Moss/Jenkinson practice car for the 1955 Mille Miglia. 1st owner Mercedes Benz GB, 2nd owner HWM Motors, 3rd owner Peter Woozley. Raced by Woozley in the UK during his ownership including a fastest lap/runner up in the 1959 Stanley Sears Trophy at Snetterton. Full JD Classics restoration to original 1954 specification just completed. Signed and authenticated by Sir Stirling Moss earlier this year during his visit to JD Classics, featured in Sir Stirlings latest scrapbook. 2011 Pebble Beach exhibit. Complete history, four owners and 52772 miles covered since new, full matching numbers and original factory specification throughout. A unique investment opportunity.
This superb 4 seater MKII has been in the same family ownership since 1948. Carefully restored in the 1980's and regularly maintained since, it is in very fine condition and absolutely ready to use and enjoy.
Only 43 4 seater MkIIs were built by the works and by no means have they all survived, so this is a rare car by anyones standards. Mechanically very sound with about 4000 miles on a steel crank and rod engine (by David Taylor) it is running very well and has proved to be very reliable.
With recent new hood, tonneau and sidescreens this MKII is ready for any weather, and new kingpins and trackrod ends last year gives it very posative handling. It has also just had a new propshaft made and fitted.
This MKII has never been off the road, and was used all through the second war by the then owner who had a reserved occupation. It was then run by an RAF engineer until the late 1940's when it became the everyday transport for the present owners father and has been kept in the family ever since.
An exceptional MKII long chassis in very good condition and well known to the AMOC, often seen at club gatherings and councours.
CSX 3112 is a true 427 Street Cobra that has survived unmodified for almost 50 years. CSX 3112 has had a complete no expense spared ground-up restoration and was a Gold Award recipient at the SAAC-30 in 2005.
With grey primer and black interior, this Shelby Cobra (CSX3112) was billed to Shelby American on 12/3/65, with a credit allowance of £8 for “no final paint color.” It was shipped to L.A. At Shelby American, work order #18093, “Build 427 street Cobra CSX3112,” was opened on 1/11/66 and closed 3/4/66. The car was painted “Silver” at this time. Shelby invoice #A 2656, dated 3/16/66, billed Herb Tousley Ford, Inc. (White Bear Lake, MN) for the car: “CSX3112, Cobra, $6,088.00, plus freight, $325, total: $6,413.00.” The car’s first known owner was Harvey Vance, a student at Vance AFB (Enid, OK) who acquired it used. According to Vance, 3112 was involved in a collision which damaged the front bodywork circa ’67. The car received some fresh alloy panels in the rebuilding process. Once the repairs were completed, Vance swapped 3112 to his flight instructor, Jay Schaff (Enid, OK), for a ’65 GT350 and cash. In ’68 Schaff traded away the Cobra for a Corvette, some cash and some “stuff” in Oklahoma City. Ray Post (OK), the Cobra’s new owner, sold it back to Harvey Vance shortly thereafter. The car was then traded for a 300 SL Mercedes Gullwing. Its next reported owners were John O’Neill (MO) and Frank Bernadini (Richmond, VA).
In the spring of ’74 the car appeared in a classified ad: “Cobra 427, CSX3112, Mechanically excellent, body and interior good, paint fair. Halibrands. Asking $9,999.95. Call Griffiths or Snow.” The phone number was from MD. 3112 was purchased by Bill Gidden (TN), who advertised it for sale in 10/74: “CSX3112, Car is beautiful in every way. Red with black leather. New Michelins. $13,900 for the fastest of classics.” Dan Hamelberg (Urbana, IL) bought the car and upgraded it before offering it for sale in 11/75: “AC Cobra 427, CSX3112. Cobra red, new black leather, new T/A’s, new engine, cross bolted mains, all original, well cared for, $16,800.” Dealer Leo Gephart (OH) purchased 3112 and sold it to Peter McManus (Thornton, PA). The car remained in the possession of McManus, sharing the garage with Allard, until ’02, when Paul Andrews (Moorestown, NJ) bought it. It was offered for sale late that summer: “Very early 427 street car currently under restoration. Never altered – no hood scoop, roll bar, side pipes. We can complete this wide-hip, square taillight, original 427 engined car to your specs and color.” Andrew’s asking price was $329K.
The car was sold to Randy Holt (Milton, WA). Holt had a complete body/frame restoration performed, with Bruce Kimmins (Lake Havasu, AZ) handling the aluminum work; Dave Bliss rebuilding the 427 side-oiler engine; Bill Ericson (Seattle, WA) rebuilding the top-loader transmission; and Mobile Services (Seattle, WA) rebuilding the brakes. All the suspension was rebuilt, following which Fred Kroll (Silverdale, WA) installed new inner panels, chrome, fresh black upholstery, a new wiring harness, and a stainless steel street exhaust system. The car was repainted silver. The restoration was completed in the summer of ’04, and a year later 3112 received a gold award in the concours at SAAC-30 (Fontana, CA). Holt put 3112 up for sale in 12/06 at a price of $650K. It was sold early in ’07 to Ed Blais (Park City, UT) with 70 miles of use on it since its restoration.
This car comes complete with the original side curtains, top and bows, and jack. In addition, a spare set of original Halibrand wheels and BF Goodrich T/A Radials are also included. In concours condition.
Don't ask KV Racing General Manager Mark Johnson for the Carfax reports on the three 2011-spec Dallara IR07s the team has for sale through eBay’s classifieds service. Frankly, even if he could produce Carfaxes for the team fleet of redundant Indy cars, it might just be easier to watch the humorous (but expensive to make) highlight reel of some of the crashes the cars were subjected to. You can watch at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BmgSit9cA
Yet for one lucky customer (or possibly three individual buyers), the cars of Tony Kanaan, Takuma Sato and E.J. Viso can be had as a package for $135,000, or individually for $50,000 apiece, minus engine and a few miscellaneous bits. And for the buyer who opts for the three-car package, prepare to hire an extra moving truck as it comes with a full catalog of spares.
With new 2012 Dallara DW12s due to arrive at KV’s shop in Indianapolis in less than two weeks, clearing space on the shop floor, in the spare parts room and in the team’s haulers is now a priority, and with three redundant IR07s on its hands, using the popular internet auction site’s classified section to part with those cars made the most sense to KV’s Johnson.
Whether it a mechanically-inclined racer who wants to try and fit a different engine to the Dallara or a business in search of a display car, Johnson hopes to get cars out the door and into the hands of those who want to take possession of their very own Indy car.
Take the IR07’s original sticker price of $500,000, add a healthy spares package per car and the annual development budgets associated with the vehicles, and compared to all the funding that was sunk into the Lotus-liveried Dallaras, the cars can be acquired for a fraction of their former value.
The goodies that make up the seven crates of spares, according to Johnson, also carried a hefty price tag at one point.
Former McLaren and BRM driver Peter Gethin has died following a long illness at the age of 71.
Gethin is best-known for his win for BRM in the 1971 Italian Grand Prix at Monza. In a slipstreaming classic he took victory by just 0.01s from Ronnie Peterson as the first five drivers were covered by 0.6s. With it turning out to be the only grand prix win of his career and having started the final lap in fourth place, it means Gethin is the only driver to have won a Formula One race without having led an entire lap.
Born in Epsom, he was the son of jockey Ken Gethin who won both the 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Stakes. He started his career in a Lotus 7 at Brands Hatch in the early Sixties before buying a Lotus 23 and winning the Guards Championship in 1964. It was in his late twenties that he started gaining attention in British F3, racing alongside Piers Courage and Jonathan Williams, and then a second place in the F2 Grand Prix d'Albi earned him a move in to Formula 5000 with Church Farm Racing in 1969.
Having won the Formula 5000 championship in both 1969 and 1970, Gethin also won a race for McLaren in the Canadian-American Challenge Cup. That led to a Formula One drive as he was brought in to the team following the death of the founder Bruce McLaren. His best result in 12 races was sixth place before he made the move to BRM where he won on his second outing. It was his only podium finish as 1972 proved to be a disappointment; just one point to show from the season.
It was Formula 5000 where Gethin was most at home, as he beat a field of F1 cars in his Chevron in the 1973 Race of Champions. The following year he raced in the Formula 5000 Tasman Series in Australia and New Zealand, taking the 1974 title - also in a Chevron - before making one last F1 appearance for Lola which ultimately ended in retirement.
When his racing career came to an end, Gethin moved in to management and became team manager of the Toleman F1 team in 1984. After two years he moved to Formula 3000 to set up Peter Gethin Racing, before later in his career running a driving school at Goodwood.
Jim Rathmann, winner of both the 1960 Indianapolis 500 and the international 500-mile "Race of Two Worlds" in 1958 at Monza, Italy, died Wednesday, Nov. 23. Rathmann passed away in a hospice in Melbourne, Fla., nine days after suffering a seizure at his home. He was 83.
Rathmann, who was inducted into the Auto Racing Hall of Fame in 1993 and the Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2007, already was a three-time runner-up in the "500" (1952, 1957 and 1959) when he scored his greatest victory. And if the 1960 race, with its record 29 lead changes, was not the finest "500" ever held, there can be no question that Rathmann's epic two-hour duel with defending winner Rodger Ward continues to stand out as the Speedway's greatest sustained two-man battle of all time.
For the entire second half of that never-to-be-forgotten classic, Rathmann and Ward were rarely any more than a few feet from each other, exchanging the lead 14 times between them. That number could have been considerably more had not tire wear played into the equation. Long before the days of computer-generated race strategies, two-way radio communication, spotters, and pace car-led pack-ups during caution periods, these two wily veterans pretty much had to figure it out for themselves, aided only by a pit board message flashed to them every minute or so.
Ward, an early leader, had stalled on his first of three planned stops, losing at least a half-minute. He raced hard to regain lost ground and caught up with Rathmann just before the halfway mark, fully cognizant that in the process he had placed undue stress on his tires. They swapped the lead several times before Ward decided to run behind Rathmann for a while and let him dictate the pace, both aware that third-placed Johnny Thomson was running a comfortable margin behind them. That was until the pit board signs began advising them that the advantage was shrinking. When it fell to only 10 seconds, they determined it was time to go.
The lead changed hands six more times in the final 30 laps until Ward happen to notice tell-tale discoloration appearing in the center of his right front tire, indicating that the cords were about to show through. He led as late as lap 197 before reluctantly slowing down to salvage second as a greatly relieved Rathmann nursed his ailing tires to the finish and won at a record average speed of 138.767mph.
Had Ward prevailed, Rathmann, who led exactly half of the 200 laps that day, would have held the dubious distinction of being history's only four-time runner-up at Indianapolis.
As an illustration of just how different things were in those days, the winning Ken-Paul Special was a brand new Offenhauser-powered car Rathmann had commissioned from his old friend A.J. Watson on behalf of Rathmann's partners, Kenny Rich and Paul Lacy. Rathmann and his chief mechanic, Chickie Hirashima, drove a station wagon out to Watson's shop in Glendale, Calif., to pick up the car whereupon they loaded it on to an open trailer and then towed it back to the Midwest themselves. More than rewarded by the eventual first-place prize money checks totaling a record $110,000, Rathmann later estimated the entire investment at only $35,000.
Born in Los Angeles on July 16, 1928, Rathmann started life as Royal Richard Rathmann, becoming "Jim" in the immediate post World War II years when he began racing hot rods as an underage teenager. He borrowed the identity of his two-and-half-year older brother, James, who later raced extensively and won the 1958 "500" pole position as "Dick" Rathmann. Although they were later to modify their dates of birth from time to time, they thankfully avoided further confusion by never professionally using their given names as they appeared on their driver's licenses and so forth, Richard Rathmann known for the remainder of his life as Jim, and James as Dick.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of classic automotive related auctions, unusal autos and motorcycles, race related sporting events and other auto related material.
We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without fee or payment of any kind.