Thursday

MILLE MIGLIA

1950 MILLE MIGLIA

In the mid-50's I became interested in the Grand Prix and other forms of racing that were being run on public roads up and down mountains and through villages and towns. Unfortunately these were the declining years for that type of racing. At that time I was living in the United States and couldn't wait for Road & Track to come out monthly. I was in love with that magazine when it was owned by John Bond out of Newport, California. Those road races went by the wayside due to some very large accidents killing many spectators. I some cases fans brought it on themselves by being in areas that they shouldn't have been. Hiding in the tall grass along side the road or reaching and trying to touch the cars. How stupid. In 1955, Sterling Moss won at the Mille Miglia. One thousand miles of dirt and dust. By that time he was already my favorite driver.

I think that is why the Monaco Grand Prix is so popular, other than being in a beautiful setting, because it is still run through the streets. The towns were gone until Detroit, in the early 80's, had three years of Formula One run on the downtown streets. What a blast.

Today it is run as a tour of sorts, a rally, with some competition spots. I starts tonight at 8:00 PM. Oops! That was twenty minutes ago.