Sunday

SMART PLUS ONE

SMART CAR

The North American International Automobile Show must have been a snoozer this year. Last year I followed it on the internet and thought that they had some interesting concept cars. I think that this year with auto companies in deep trouble, Ford dumping a lot of their foreign car companies, Chrysler being sold, GM with their hands up in the air, it is a whole different ball game. Even as stupid as I am I can figure out things they could do to save themselves. I will keep it to myself for fear that I could hear the laughter all the way over here.

One of the things I liked was the introduction of the SMART CAR which is under the roof of Roger Penske. The car has been produced for quite some time in Europe by Mercedes-Benz. Last year they started a waiting list for people that were interested. What interests me is that there are 30,000 people on that list. I am not saying that they will all be buyers, but even if half of them buy it is a good start. One car guy said that they will sell well for a couple of years and then maybe two more years when they intoduce the diesel to the States. Canada already has it. He was also concerned about the crashability. That you should check out on YouTube.com because I think you might be surprised.

The other car I like was a concept car built on the expanded idea of the Audi R-8. A sports car with a 12 cylinder diesel engine. If you have seen the Le Mans 24 Hour Race the last couple of years you already know these diesels mean business. Nothing to be laughed at. This years race they will all have diesels....visions of things to come.

I guess maybe the only other production I would liked to have seen would have been the KID ROCK production by GM.

AUDI CONCEPT CAR