Sunday

JOHN SURTEES..........1934 - 2017

When I first became interested in Formula One, motorcycles and other forms of open wheeled racing, "John Surtees" was a house-hold word, at least at my house. While I was piddling my life away in high school, John, here, was becoming a world motorcycle champion. In 1956, 1958, 1959 and 1960 he became the world 500cc motorcycle champion. In '58, '59 and '60 he was also a world champion in the 350cc class. Then he moved on to Formula One with a world champion season in 1964. By 217 drivers he was considered to be number 23 on the best of the best list. There were other drivers from the motorcycle field, but he was the only one to be champion in both fields. The motorcycle people test for Formula One, but none seem to the teams up on it any more. When I was in Cyprus his son Henry, who was 18 at the time, died in a very freak Formula Two crash in England. There can't be many drivers older than he was hanging around.

photo credit © 2017 Google