Car is chassis number 65-647, one of the last cars actually produced by Jack Turner's shop. It is a left hand drive model that was shipped from the factory in August of '65 on Manchester Line's S.S. Pacific Stronghold and delivered to EurAuto in Salt Lake City with four other cars.
Turners were well regarded as fast and competitive racers that punched above their “weight class.” Within the production run of the previous Mark II cars, engines varied from 948cc BMC units, Coventry Climax FWA 1098 engines, FWE 1216, or 997, 1198, 1340 and 1500cc Ford engines. Turner Mark III models (such as this car) came with 1500cc (1498) English Ford pre-crossflow engines, unless a customer requested something else. These were strong performing over-square engines that were the basis for the 1600cc Lotus Twin-cam units. The engine can be modified and tuned to rev high and produce substantial, reliable power.
There are approximately 53 examples of the Turner Mark III known to survive worldwide. 65-647 is fast, nimble and fun. Many say it looks like a “Baby Cobra.” The engine was built by highly regarded MWE Engineering. It pulls strongly from 3,500 to over 7,500 rpm. It has great brakes, excellent balance and always rewards good driving.
The car has raced at Sebring, Palm Beach International, Roebling Road, VIR, and numerous other eastern race tracks. SCCA and VDCA logbooks are included.
65-647 looks great and runs great
• Wenz built all steel Ford pre-crossflow 1500
• Aluminum roller-rockers
• Twin Weber 45mm DCOE's
• Heavy Duty Milton engine mounts
• Ron Davis aluminum racing radiator & electric fan
• Setrab oil cooler
• AN 12 breather lines and vented breather tank
• Lightweight magnesium bell housing
• Competition lightweight flywheel and clutch
• Ford medium-close ratio racing gearbox
• Tilton brake bias adjustment
• 5 qt. halon fire system
• Professional roll cage with door bars & dash hoop
• Recent ATL 8 gallon fuel cell
• Panasport racing wheels
• PRI adjustable shocks
• Custom ceramic coated fabricated header
• Custom fabricated oval tube exhaust with side outlet
• Winner's Circle double bearing hubs
• Kirkey vintage race seat with upholstery
• Current RaceQuip 6 pt. camlock belts
• Metallic silver livery with twin black stripes
• Custom fitted tonneau cover
Located in Florida........1-727-480-2305
photo and test credit: © 2015 Hemmings